Within the past year we have seen poisoned dog food, lead tainted toys, tainted Colgate, and most recently in China a large portion of dairy products have been found that contain a toxic chemical which is killing fairly large groups of children. If people in China cannot even trust some of the goods produced there, how can we?
Even with today's resources it is difficult to predict what the effects of the 'One Child Policy' will have on Chinese economy. It is however, clear that there will be a HUGE drop in the total population, for every two people only one is being reproduced. Therefore by 2030 will China be able to keep all these jobs if they don't have the man-power? Where will they go then?
Don't get me wrong, I love China. I spent the summer before senior year in Beijing and it was the best time of my life. Even today I talk almost weekly with my friends in China and I plan on working there after college, and I find the language and culture fascinating. Still I cannot let some of these issues not be brought up and thought about.
No comments:
Post a Comment