Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Ok so as I was reading everyone's post, I can see the reasoning behind those who think leaving things the way they are is right and those against it. I, however, think we should just leave things as they are. As of this moment, we are receiving the goods we need and still balancing our money. It would cost of millions of dollars to build manufacturing companies in the United States. It would cost more to do that than paying the increasing prices with China right now. However, I am not saying that in the future if prices continue to increase we should not consider other alternatives. Furthermore, the article tells us that bulk goods made in China such as clothing, toys, and small appliances could not come back to the United States anyways because they require abundant cheap labor. In my opinion that just reinforces the idea that the United States should not try and bring jobs back from China. Also, this would put the United States playing "catch up." All these other countries such as China are familiar with the manufacturing process, have willing workers, and already have the buildings to produce mass amounts of goods, whereas the United States would be starting from scratch. When we begin to change things, we are not always sure of the outcome, therefore, risking a lot of time and money. So until things begin to become financially unstable, I am for leaving the jobs in China.

1 comment:

N. Wofford said...

"The US starting from scratch" isn't necessarily true think about the end of the 19th century and much of the 20th century many Americans were in factory-type jobs. But I know where your coming from with the problems that would arise if all of the jobs came back and the price of everything would shoot up.